Topic: Debian 7 - Unknown protocol: sieve

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.4
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 6 -> 7
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

I am attempting an upgrade from Debian 6 to 7 and am having Dovecot difficulties when I run "apt-get dist-upgrade."

Per suggestion, I first set up iRedMail on a Debian 7 VM, and then moved the dovecot.conf file into my actual server.  However, I am getting the error: 

doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf: protocols: Unknown protocol: sieve

It works just fine in the VM, so where have I gone wrong?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Debian 7 - Unknown protocol: sieve

snarfies wrote:

doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf: protocols: Unknown protocol: sieve

In Debian 6, sieve protocol is included in "dovecot-common" package. In Debian 7, there is a dedicated package called "dovecot-sieve", so maybe "apt-get dist-upgrade" didn't install the new package and just replaced "dovecot-common" with "dovecot-core" (which lacks sieve protocol).

In short,
apt-get install dovecot-sieve

Do you have package "dovecot-managesieved" and "dovecot-sieve" installed?

Yep, looks like I needed to manually install dovecot-managesieved and dovecot-sieve, thanks.

It still broke everything though... it isn't a very smooth upgrade as I was led to believe, and I confess I don't know enough about what I'm doing to figure it out (yet).  I might just back up my data, reset my whole setup, reinstall iredmail from scratch, and restore the data.

Thanks though!

Here's an easy way to upgrade Dovecot-1.x to 2.x:
http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic4493 … tos-5.html

Yep, I followed that guide.  Did not help.  There's clearly a lot more to updating Debian and keeping iredmail functioning than I have seen let on here in the past.

In any event, I still plan to wipe the server and reimport the data instead one of these days.

thanks anyway.

snarfies wrote:

Yep, I followed that guide.  Did not help.

What do you mean "not help"? If you upgraded Dovecot by following the tutorial, any errors?