Topic: How to set from address for Vacation responder?

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.3
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  Active Directory (LDAP)
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 6.4
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

How can I set the Vacation auto-responder so that it sends its replies from the user's email address?  If joe@domain.me gets an email while Vacation responder is enabled, I'd like the reply to come from joe@domain.me.  Right now it comes from vmail@mail.domain.me.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: How to set from address for Vacation responder?

According to RFC document (RFC5230: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5230#section-5.4):

Unless explicitly overridden with a :from parameter, the From field SHOULD be set to the address of the owner of the Sieve script.

So, this is normal. Looks like Roundcube managesieve doesn't input a ":from" parameter automatically, or let user edit it manually.

== UPDATE ==
I created a ticket in Roundcube web site to help track this issue: http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1489221

Aha, thanks for that.  Although if I create a brand new filter that replies to all messages I still get the reply from vmail@mail.domain.me.  Is it the same issue?

Did you have ":from your_email_address" in your sieve script?

I'm using Roundcube to set these so I don't have extra options.  But if I look on the server, my test filter I created looks like this:

# rule:[test]
if true
{
    vacation :days 1 :subject "test" "test";
}

Does it work if you add ":from" parameter manually? For example:

# rule:[test]
if true
{
    vacation :days 1 :from "user@domain.ltd" :subject "test" "test";
}

As mentioned in previous reply, i created a ticket to ask Roundcube developers to consider adding this feature:
http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1489221

Hi Zhang,

I tried adding :from manually as you put in your example but it looks like that doesn't have any effect.  The mail still has a from address of vmail@mail.domain.me.

I tested vacation with Dovecot-2.0 moment ago, here's what i got:

- Without ":from email_address", the auto-reply message has correct "From: recipient". Not "vmail@hostname" like yours.
- With ":from another_email_address", it shows "From: another_email-address" correctly.

So, i cannot reproduce your issue.

Big thanks for testing that.  I did some more digging and I found where my problem is coming from.  I have my iRedMail install on a Pacemaker cluster and I am using ssmtp as my default MTA so that I can get error emails from the passive node.  I haven't figured out how yet, but I think I need to find a way to specify my MTA as Postfix in the Dovecot config.

Alright I found the answer, I just put this in my dovecot.conf

sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix

And now it works as it should.  Sorry for the wild goose chase!  Hopefully this post will come up in Google if someone else runs into this issue later.

Thanks,
Doug