1 (edited by racedirector 2013-06-07 19:40:10)

Topic: New install, don't know what to do....

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.4
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 6.2 64 Bit
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====
New server installed this afternoon on a Linode VPS. I have been fighting it since the install. I have emails going outbound from the server to other email addresses, iRedmail actually highlighted some issues I had with my cpanel email.

Anyway, my biggest issue right now is receiving emails, they are all being rejected by procmail. I just cannot switch from cpanel to iRedmail with it running like this. I would have thought this would all be handled by the install but it does not seem so.

I would appreciate some pointers as to what I should be adjusting/changing to get the server to receive anything without rejecting it. I have 5 domains to transfer over before the end of the week so am desperate for a fix.

This is what I get in the mail log:

Jun  7 11:25:07 mx postfix/smtpd[3700]: connect from unknown[209.85.219.67]
Jun  7 11:25:08 mx policyd: connection from: 127.0.0.1 port: 54182 slots: 0 of 2044 used
Jun  7 11:25:08 mx policyd: rcpt=11, greylist=new, host=209.85.219.67 (unknown), from=XXXXXXX@gmail.com, to=YYYYYYYY@ozspeedway.net, size=0
Jun  7 11:25:08 mx postfix/smtpd[3700]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[209.85.219.67]: 450 4.7.1 <YYYYYYYY@ozspeedway.net>: Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection- Please try later.; from=<XXXXXXX@gmail.com> to=<YYYYYYYY@ozspeedway.net> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail-oa0-f67.google.com>
Jun  7 11:25:08 mx postfix/smtpd[3700]: disconnect from unknown[209.85.219.67]

This was me trying to send something from gmail to my test account on iRedmail. The XXXXXXX and YYYYYY is just masking the real names. The user DOES exist in iRedmail under the domain specified.

I also get the following errors back FROM procmail on the iRedmail server on occasion:

Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

To summarise: Procmail is rejecting ALL email sent to it. I have no idea where to fix this problem. MX records all point the right place. iRedmail server can SEND emails out from this address. While I do not want to be open to nasty people relaying through my server I do want to receive valid emails from the outside world.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: New install, don't know what to do....

*) iRedMail doesn't use procmail at all. If it's installed during iRedMail installation, it was installed because some other software requires it (but maybe doesn't use it)

*) The reject message "Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection- Please try later." is caused by greylisting, you can wait for several minutes, then email will arrived in your mailbox. Refer to http://greylisting.org/ for more details if you're interested in what it's and how it works.

You don't need to change config files, just wait for several minutes.

Sorry, don't know why I had procmail in my head, I meant Postfix smile

Thanks for the graylisting part but I also get the second error:

"Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table"

This actually causes the mail to be rejected totally sending a Mail Delivery error back to the sender. I know I am certainly not going to add every single user that I get emails from so the must be someway for Postfix to add them automatically (I hope).

Any ideas on that one?

Cheers

Postfix just lookups existing mail accounts, it doesn't add them.

that still doesn't tell me why Postfix would be looking for a user from a different mail server on my mail server. The user it can't find is NOT in any domains I have on the server, it is the SENDING user not the RECEIVING user. Maybe I should resort to Google for support of Postfix because this just doesn't make sense at all.

*) Which error message are you talking about?
*) Error message "Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table", this is local sender verification. If this email is sent from other mail server, does the sender domain exist on your server?