Topic: bulk create users

Hi. I found the create_mail_user_SQL.sh script for creating users in the sql database. However, what about creating the underlying filesystem mailboxes ?

thanks.

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.1
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): pgsql
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: RHEL 6.4
====

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: bulk create users

dwbotsch wrote:

Hi. I found the create_mail_user_SQL.sh script for creating users in the sql database. However, what about creating the underlying filesystem mailboxes ?

There is no need to create mailboxes on filesystem as they are created automatically by dovecot (see autocreate options in dovecot.conf)

Thanks.

However, it looks like the autocreate plugin does not create anything unless the user first logs in. Which means that there is a potentially large interim during which email won't be delivered.

camel1cz wrote:
dwbotsch wrote:

There is no need to create mailboxes on filesystem as they are created automatically by dovecot (see autocreate options in dovecot.conf)

dwbotsch wrote:

Thanks.

However, it looks like the autocreate plugin does not create anything unless the user first logs in. Which means that there is a potentially large interim during which email won't be delivered.

Mail is delivered using dovecot (LDA) as well. So maildirs are created also before delivering of the first email.

I sent a test message, and dovecot did not auto create the mail user directory upon delivery. Nor upon repeated delivery attempts.

My box running iRedMail does autocreate the mailboxes - what is in your mail.log and dovecot.log?

dwbotsch wrote:

I sent a test message, and dovecot did not auto create the mail user directory upon delivery. Nor upon repeated delivery attempts.

Dovecot will create mailboxes/folders for mail user automatically as @camel1cz says.

If it doesn't work as expected, please track Postfix log file (/var/log/maillog on RHEL) and Dovecot log files (/var/log/dovecot.log and /var/log/sieve.log on RHEL). Turning on debug mode in Dovecot to get detailed debug log is recommended for troubleshooting.
Reference: http://www.iredmail.org/wiki/index.php? … In.Dovecot

P.S. Hi @camel1cz, thanks very much for helping solving issue in this forum. smile

I suspect if I were to login via imap, dovecot would then autocreate. But, since I"m not (and am not about to for a couple of hundred new email addresses), it's not.

Anyway, nothing in dovecot.log.

maillog shows:

status=deferred (temporary failure

I suspect the "temporary failure" is the absence of the underlying mail directory.