Topic: Hostname and Virtual Domain Name

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.4
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySql
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian/squeeze
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hello,

As changing the Virtual Domain Name didn't solved the issue in the following thread, I got a question. Is it possible to change the Virtual Domain Name instead of changing the Hostname, to make it different ? Will that be difficult ? I read somewhere that the value of the Virtual Domain Name is stored somewhere in the database.

www.iredmail.org/forum/topic4835-iredmail-support-connection.html

Thanks.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Hostname and Virtual Domain Name

aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

Is it possible to change the Virtual Domain Name instead of changing the Hostname, to make it different ?

Virtual domain names are stored in SQL/LDAP, if you change virtual domain name, how do you manage virtual mail users? Use system user accounts?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Virtual domain names are stored in SQL/LDAP, if you change virtual domain name, how do you manage virtual mail users? Use system user accounts?

No, I won't be using the system user accounts for mailing purpose.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

if you change virtual domain name, how do you manage virtual mail users?

I admit that I have less knowledge about how Virtual Domain works. Do you mean changing the Virtual Domain Name will affect  the existing email accounts (will make them not accessible) ?

Thanks.

aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

Do you mean changing the Virtual Domain Name will affect  the existing email accounts (will make them not accessible) ?

Sure.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

Do you mean changing the Virtual Domain Name will affect  the existing email accounts (will make them not accessible) ?

Sure.

Infact, I POP out all the emails everyday. There are no emails stored on the server.

Will it make any other problems except I have to recreate the email accounts ?

Let's come back to the issue, what's the problem about changing server hostname? Is it so hard?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Let's come back to the issue, what's the problem about changing server hostname? Is it so hard?

As I said at the beginning, there is no problem with changing the hostname. But I just thought of experimenting, so that I can learn from the experience. These kind of experiments will help me when I install iRedMail in the future (as part of my work). This is my first time mail server installation. Now it is my personal server, so I can do any experiment. But when I do it as a work, I have to resolve the problems quickly.

Also I don't want to make my current installation a complete mess (waste of time). I wish to keep it good for my personal use too. So I just thought of asking questions before I experiment on the Virtual Domain Name change. I hope you understood the  reason.

Hi Huangbin, I am new to iredmail, great project. I have similar issues to aniyan, when installing, I would like to keep the email address the same to the domain (eg example.com). The installation asks 'Please specify your first virtual domain name', 'warning: it cannot be the same as server hostname: example.com'.

This is however exactly what I would like to do. Is there a way that on domain example.com I could have mail addresses like user@example.com ? Do I have to use sub domains user@mx.example.com or maybe different domain/different ip user@anotherdomain.com ?

I have been searching, but havent found the answer. many thanks

Server hostname is not the same as virtual mail domain name. Please, use a name like "mail.domain.com" or "mx.domain.com" for your server hostname.

For info, I think I have solved my question. Install iredmail under eg mail.site.com server hotname and, with iRedAdmin Panel, add a 'new domain' 'site.com' and then add users user1@site.com, user2@site.com etc on iRedAdmin Panel.

Seems to be doing the trick that I have been looking for. It is postmaster@mail.site.com but general users are user1@site.com.

Not sure this is the 'proper way', but seems to work over the last days.