1 (edited by JJEdgar 2013-05-18 11:34:07)

Topic: SMTP Error 250: Authentication failed!

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.4
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian Wheezy
====

Having a little problem with SMTP. I can login and all of that but when I try to send an email I get the error:
SMTP Error (250): authentication failure

And I found this post:
http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic3531 … ilure.html

Which says it is resolved however those commands will not run on my system with the error:
"update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing"

I hope someone can help me out and get it to where I can send mail without any problems.

Is there a way I can just change the method that iredmail uses to send mail and change it to postfix?

Thanks, JJ Edgar

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: SMTP Error 250: Authentication failed!

Sorry, could you please paste related log about "authentication failure" in Postfix log file?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Sorry, could you please paste related log about "authentication failure" in Postfix log file?

Well it is very poorly laid out. Where could I find the logs for postfix? I would usually assume they are in /var/log/postfix however there is nothing there.

A little update, sendmail is not installed. So for some reason SMTP is getting an authentication failed when it tries to send mail. Anyone know a fix to this problem or can point me in the right direction?

Postfix log file is /var/log/mail.log on Debian.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Postfix log file is /var/log/mail.log on Debian.

That is the problem. I do not have a mail.log file. I'm not sure why... I followed the installation tutorial to the letter. I'm not sure which config to start looking in to enable logging.

I guess you don't have iRedMail correctly installed. The simplest solution to solve it it re-install your Debian server, then install the latest iRedMail stable release by following our installation guide STRICTLY:
http://www.iredmail.org/install_iredmail_on_debian.html

It was on a fresh install, first thing I did after the format, and it's the third time I've tried iRedMail and get hung at the exact same spot; the SMTP error.

And yes, I have followed the install tutorial to the letter.

Perhaps, I will try a different groupware out there to see if it is just my server install.