- Store mail accounts in which backend (MySQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS

Server Dell R310
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3430 @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 1281 MB / 7974 MB
Disk: 210G / 2.0T
====

Folks,

I've had about the worst 36 hours I've had in a long time.  I thought I was going to experience a fairly smooth transition from a Sendmail server that has been a problem for sometime.  Problem not in that it doesn't send/recv mail, but that it's old.

The problems I had with the new server ranged from 20,000+ messages getting caught by cluebringer, could not seem to get it turned off.  Once I think I did, had no way to clear them out and deliver.  I use a high end Mail Gateway/SPAM Filter Appliance (Red Condor/Edgewave MAG) and had nothing but problems getting the damm MAG communicate on port 25 reliably.  I had a straight forward LAMP install.  I operate a data center and run either Ubuntu Server or CentOS.  Not a noob at Linux admin.  Did a straight forward iRedmail install.

I had this new mail server set up and functioning well with a test domain, resolvable, etc.  Everything seemed to be good to go.  I spent a week or so syncing the email accounts between the two servers.  Did my final sync during maintenance last night and dit the cut over.  So that I didn't have to deal with updating DNS for a bunch of domains, I made it real simple.  BTW, I acquired this Sendmail server in a company acquisition.  They had no less than 15 sub domains for imap, pop, etc.  Believe it or not, smtp, smtpauth, smtp-auth, smpt, smpp, smtt, etc.  I digress... I changed the IP address of the new email server to that of the old Sendmail server.  Cleared ARP on my Router and....

I guess where I'm going is I could sure use some help.  Paid if needed.  I'm not a mail server guru.  My needs are simple, mail handling, webmail, not spam, virus, or grey listing.  I have a 75k device that takes care of that for me.

Thanks....  smile

tony

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Server Migration Whoas!

A follow up after getting a little sleep...

What have been your experiences with various OS Types?  I am using the Pro version of iRedAdmin, I don't see the "greylisting" features,  On another post regarding Greylisting, Zhang mentions that policyd does not work with Ubuntu 12.04, a reply mentions it works Flawless with CentOS.  I guess my question is, what OS seems to give the best experience, CentOS, RedHat, Ubuntu, Fedora?

How can I completely turn off ALL SPAM and Virus filtering?  I want zero delay in mail delivery.  I was seeing 30 or more minutes to delivery, if at all.  I believe it was get placed in a queue.  iRedAdmin Dashboard, or specific views said there were zero mails Quarantined.  Yet in the Amavisd table, I see over 20,000 messages.  What am I seeing here?

Answers to these and any other questions/suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

tonyd

Re: Server Migration Whoas!

*) Greylisting is working all all supported Linux/BSD distributions, provided by Policyd-1.8 or Cluebringer (a.k.a. Policyd v2), or spamd(8) (OpenBSD only, this is not the SpamAssassin daemon, but the built-in daemon).

*) To completely turn off all SPAM/VIRUS filtering, please refer to this wiki tutorial: http://iredmail.org/wiki/index.php?titl … amAssassin

tonyd wrote:

I was seeing 30 or more minutes to delivery

Delay of sending out or receiving emails?

tonyd wrote:

iRedAdmin Dashboard, or specific views said there were zero mails Quarantined.  Yet in the Amavisd table, I see over 20,000 messages.  What am I seeing here?

Did you update Amavisd config file as mentioned in iRedAdmin upgrade tutorial (upgrade from iRedAdmin open source edition to Pro edition)? If not, check this tutorial to let Amavisd quarantine SPAM/VIRUS into SQL db:
http://iredmail.org/wiki/index.php?titl … ining.SPAM