1 (edited by aniyan.rajan6 2013-04-12 22:59:23)

Topic: iRedAdmin

I am new to iRedMail and iRedAdmin. I am planning to install iRedMail in my new VPS, as per the following tutorial (URL).

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ … -12-10-x64

I have a few questions:

1. Is iRedAdmin a web hosting control panel like cPanel and VirtualMin ? Or is it just an email Admin tool for using with iRedMail ?

2. Is the iRedAdmin specified in the above tutorial (URL), a GPLv2 version of iRedAdmin ? I mean, will it install the GPLv2 version or the Commercial Paid Version (iRedAdmin-Pro) ?

3. What is the License of iRedAdmin-Pro ? Is it GPL ?

Please help.

Thanks.

2

Re: iRedAdmin

aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

1. Is iRedAdmin a web hosting control panel like cPanel and VirtualMin ? Or is it just an email Admin tool for using with iRedMail ?

Why not check its feature lists below and try our online demo:
- Features: http://www.iredmail.org/admin_panel.html
- Online demo: http://www.iredmail.org/admin_demo.html

aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

2. Is the iRedAdmin specified in the above tutorial (URL), a GPLv2 version of iRedAdmin ? I mean, will it install the GPLv2 version or the Commercial Paid Version (iRedAdmin-Pro) ?
3. What is the License of iRedAdmin-Pro ? Is it GPL ?

iRedAdmin is released under dual licenses.

- iRedAdmin open source edition is licensed under GPL v2, it has less features than iRedAdmin-Pro.
- Paid version, iRedAdmin-Pro, is licensed under commercial license, but customers can get full source code.

3

Re: iRedAdmin

Why not check its feature lists below and try our online demo:
- Features: http://www.iredmail.org/admin_panel.html
- Online demo: http://www.iredmail.org/admin_demo.html

I tried the demo. But I found only Email Management in the demo. I am expecting the answer to the question: "What is the purpose of creating iRedAdmin?" Is it an Email Admin tool for using with iRedMail ? Or something like cPanel ?

- iRedAdmin open source edition is licensed under GPL v2, it has less features than iRedAdmin-Pro.
- Paid version, iRedAdmin-Pro, is licensed under commercial license, but customers can get full source code.

So do you mean it is the iRedAdmin ( open source edition ), which is getting installed in my tutorial ? It is getting installed through the iRedMail package.

Please answer.

Thanks.

4

Re: iRedAdmin

aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

I tried the demo. But I found only Email Management in the demo. I am expecting the answer to the question: "What is the purpose of creating iRedAdmin?" Is it an Email Admin tool for using with iRedMail ? Or something like cPanel ?

iRedAdmin-Pro is a web admin panel to help you manage mail accounts, and some other mail server related stuffs. You can see full features here: http://www.iredmail.org/admin_panel.html

I don't use CPanel, so i cannot say whether it's like it or not. Sorry.

aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

So do you mean it is the iRedAdmin ( open source edition ), which is getting installed in my tutorial ? It is getting installed through the iRedMail package.

Yes.

5

Re: iRedAdmin

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

iRedAdmin-Pro is a web admin panel to help you manage mail accounts, and some other mail server related stuffs. You can see full features here: http://www.iredmail.org/admin_panel.html

Looks like it manages only mail related stuff. Perfect, thats what I'm looking for. I will be installing iRedAdmin (GPL Version) that comes with iRedMail package, not the iRedAdmin-Pro.

Does any version of iRedAdmin has a spam filtering feature ?

Thanks.

6

Re: iRedAdmin

aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

Does any version of iRedAdmin has a spam filtering feature ?

It's implemented in iRedMail, not iRedAdmin. So, you already have it.

7

Re: iRedAdmin

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

Does any version of iRedAdmin has a spam filtering feature ?

It's implemented in iRedMail, not iRedAdmin. So, you already have it.

Great. Thanks for developing the great product.

8

Re: iRedAdmin

Is it possible to use POP3 or IMAP with iRedMail and iRedAdmin? The iRedAdmin open source version doesn't show the tick mark for those features. Why ? (I want to access the emails using thunderbird.)

http://www.iredmail.org/admin_panel.html

9

Re: iRedAdmin

POP3/IMAP over STARTTLS are enabled default in iRedMail part, not iRedAdmin.
iRedAdmin-Pro can restrict per-user service like POP3/IMAP.

10

Re: iRedAdmin

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

POP3/IMAP over STARTTLS are enabled default in iRedMail part, not iRedAdmin.
iRedAdmin-Pro can restrict per-user service like POP3/IMAP.

okay, so I can go ahead and use POP3/IMAP from thunderbird. I don't want a per user configuration, as I will be the only user.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it possible for me to use SSL/TLS instead of STARTTLS, by changing the configuration manually ? (as I cannot use iRedAdmin for this purpose ).

2. Is it possible to do the Blacklist Management and Whitelist Management manually in iRedMail configuration, as they are also not available in iRedAdmin ?

Thanks.

11

Re: iRedAdmin

aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

1. Is it possible for me to use SSL/TLS instead of STARTTLS, by changing the configuration manually ? (as I cannot use iRedAdmin for this purpose ).

iRedMail uses STARTTLS by default, of course you can configure Postfix manually to use SSL. But, SMTP over SSL (port 465) is deprecated, the recommended one is SMTP over STARTTLS (port 587, the iRedMail default setting).

aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

2. Is it possible to do the Blacklist Management and Whitelist Management manually in iRedMail configuration, as they are also not available in iRedAdmin ?

Sure. If you have Cluebringer installed, access httpS://your_server/cluebringer/ to manage it. If you have Policyd-1.8 installed, refer to this page: http://policyd.sf.net/readme.html

12

Re: iRedAdmin

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

iRedMail uses STARTTLS by default, of course you can configure Postfix manually to use SSL. But, SMTP over SSL (port 465) is deprecated, the recommended one is SMTP over STARTTLS (port 587, the iRedMail default setting).

I am not much aware of STARTTLS. I believe that it gives a secure encrypted connection as SSL. I hope it will give a password encryption too. I am more concerned about the security. Please suggest.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Sure. If you have Cluebringer installed, access httpS://your_server/cluebringer/ to manage it. If you have Policyd-1.8 installed, refer to this page: http://policyd.sf.net/readme.html

Yes I am installing policyd. I hope I will be able to whitelist/blacklist the EmailIDs. Thanks for the url.

13

Re: iRedAdmin

aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

I am not much aware of STARTTLS. I believe that it gives a secure encrypted connection as SSL. I hope it will give a password encryption too. I am more concerned about the security. Please suggest.

STARTTLS has the same security, e.g. password encryption.

Client requests to enable security with a 'STARTTLS' smtp command, after secure connection is established, client sends password.