Topic: [SOLVED] FreeBSD 9.1 + ZFS + Jail + iRedMail = shutdown deadlocks
I have been struggling with this problem for quite some time. I have iRedMail running perfectly in FreeBSD's Jail but I have trouble shutting or rebooting the server as it will hang after "All buffers synched". This is not good if the server will be at the data center which will require someone to physically reset the server.
1) Create/Delete mail Jail without installing iRedMail. Reboot Success
2) Installed iRedMail and start services in mail Jail. Reboot Fail
3) Restart mail Jail. Reboot Fail
4) Disabled or kill all jobs/services/daemons in mail Jail. Reboot Fail
5) Delete mail Jail and reboot. Reboot Fail
6) Reboot server after server restarted manually after number 5 above. Reboot Success
7) Reboot/Shutdown server several times after mail Jail was removed/deleted. Reboot Success
My zfs list:
NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
tank 31.8G 882G 443M legacy
tank/ezjail 4.54G 882G 501M /jails
tank/ezjail/basejail 1.70G 882G 1.70G /jails/basejail
tank/ezjail/mysql 228M 882G 228M /jails/mysql
tank/ezjail/newjail 3.59M 882G 3.59M /jails/newjail
tank/ezjail/web 876M 882G 876M /jails/web
tank/ezjail/mail 276M 882G 276M /jails/mail
I suspect that iRedMail installation changed some of the system configurations in mail Jail that prevented it from having normal shutdown/reboot procedure as it hangs after "All buffers synched".
I occasionally get this error... after I press the power button or ALT-CTRL-DEL keys after it hangs and it will shutdown after couple of minutes.
All buffers synched
writing entrophy file:/etc/rc.shutdown: WARNING: write failed (read-only fs?)
init: some processes would not die; ps axl advised
It will not drop into Single Mode for me to do the "ps axl" command to find out what's causing this.
I looked in the /var/logs/messages to find what could be causing the problem but I do not see anything since shutdown procedure wasn't able to write to the log file.
Anyone else having this problem or is there a solution?
On the side note, I did the same procedure on my other computer in VirtualBox without ZFS. It all works very well. I have to use ZFS for two drives mirroring and to control the disk space for VPS users.
==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.3
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP/MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: FreeBSD 9.1
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
- Urgent issue? Pay iRedMail developer to solve it remotely at $39.