Topic: Mail Lists as Alias members

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.4
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04
====

Not sure whether this is a new issue or one I have just not noticed before, but I notice in iRedAdmin-Pro 1.9.0 that, if you view an Alias profile, and then click on one of its members which is a mail-list, it takes you to:

host.example.net/iredadmin/profile/user/general/<mail-list-address>

Error: {'matched': 'ou=Users,domainName=example.net,o=domains,dc=example,dc=net', 'desc': 'No such object'}

If on the other hand the alias member is a User, then it works fine.

--
Chris Roberts

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Mail Lists as Alias members

Bug in iRedAdmin-Pro, it doesn't recognize different kind of members. I will try to fix it later, thanks for your feedback. smile

Since all members of mail alias are stored in alias account (LDAP object mail=alias@domain.ltd,ou=Aliases,domainName=domain.ltd,dc=xxx), we cannot detect whether the member is a mail user or mail list without addition LDAP queries.

iRedAdmin-Pro-LDAP doesn't support use mail alias as member of mailing list, but it's allowed to use mailing list as member of mail alias. Do you need this? Maybe we should restrict members to be mail users only?

To be fair I am probably abusing the system - ideally what I would like is to have mail lists as members of mail lists, as that was not possible, I used aliases for the "parent" mail lists.

For example I like to have branch level mail lists, and company level mail lists - so that "sales" will actually go to "branch1sales" and "branch2sales", and "service" will actually go to "branch1service" and "branch2service". This saves me from having to administer the parent groups, albeit with the disadvantages inherent in aliases vs mail lists.

Would it be possible to have mail lists as members of mail lists, this is how I have always used it in postfix and I don't believe there is any fundamental reason why it wouldn't work?

I will try to achieve this (mailing list as member of another mailing list) in future release. Thanks for your feedback. smile