Topic: compatability with spam appliance

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.3 Open Source Edition
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 6.3
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi,

I am trying to get iRedMail to work with my SPAM appliance. It is a product called ModusGate. It allows you to auto populate the appliance with the email accounts from. However, I am having trouble getting it to recognise Aliases as an alias instead of a standalone mailbox.

I think, with LDAP, it gets confused because of the way the Aliases are added (I followed the guide that basically set up a mail account with a forwarder).

Does iRedAdmin-Pro handle aliases in the same way?

I have also tried to do this using SMTP_VRFY. I have enabled the command but when I VRFY i get 252 returned whereas the spam appliance needs to get 250 DestinationEmailForAlias in order to see it as an alias.

Can anyone provide any assistance?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: compatability with spam appliance

skalra63 wrote:

Does iRedAdmin-Pro handle aliases in the same way?

Yes.

skalra63 wrote:

I have also tried to do this using SMTP_VRFY. I have enabled the command but when I VRFY i get 252 returned whereas the spam appliance needs to get 250 DestinationEmailForAlias in order to see it as an alias.

According to RFC document (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol), return code 252 is fine.

252 Cannot VRFY user, but will accept message and attempt
          delivery
         (See section 3.5.3)

If you verify a non-existing user/account, Postfix will return code 550 directly. For example:

550 5.1.1 <non-exist@x.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

So, that's an issue with your SPAM appliance, not iRedMail (Postfix).

Re: compatability with spam appliance

Thanks.

I looked a bit harder and found a reference to the LDAP attribute "shadowAddress" which does what I want. The Pro console also appears to be able to add this attribute.

However, I have noticed that you can add the same email address used in "shadowAddress" on multiple users. Is it possible to have it check if the shadowAddress is already in use and notify the user and not add a duplicate shadowAddress to another mailbox?