1 (edited by mdavis.virtual 2013-02-28 10:48:09)

Topic: [Bug] - Password Limitations?

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.3
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS x64
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi, I thought I'd pop in and notify you of a possible installation issue when using passwords with spaces, commas, and brackets [] no more than 15 characters long.  The password used during installation had contained each of the characters mentioned above and I was unable to log in to either the iRedMail admin or RoundCube mail portals after installation with 100% certainty that I was using the correct credentials.

The installation had completed successfully without error and was then followed immediately by a system reboot.  After a few installation attempts using this problematic password with the same results (crazy, I know), I had decided to try restarting from scratch (same installation procedure) using a different password and that seemed to have done the trick.

I'm fairly confident the issue is related to passwords with certain special characters, but I apologize for not taking the time to isolate things any further than that.  If you require any additional information or would like me to try and recreate the problematic state in a separate virtual machine to share, just let me know and I'll see what I can do...

EDIT:

Here's how one can replicate this on their end...

1.) Install fresh copy of Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS x64 (with no extra packages) in VMWare
2.) Use mail.example.com as the machine's hostname
3.) Apply updates, download new iRedMail, extract, and configure

sudo apt-get update
sudo -i
cd /root/
wget https://bitbucket.org/zhb/iredmail/downloads/iRedMail-0.8.3.tar.bz2
tar xjf iRedMail-0.8.3.tar.bz2
cd iRedMail-0.8.3/
bash iRedMail.sh

4.) Use default mail storage location of "/var/vmail/"
5.) Select MySQL as backend with password wd [ofdma], ic
6.) Use example.com as virtual domain
7.) Set domain administrator password as wd [ofdma], ic
8.) Install all optional components
9.) Continue? Yes
10.) Use iRedMail default firewall rules and restart the firewall, then restart the system
11.) Visit https://mail.example.com/mail/ in a web browser using postmaster@example.com as the username and wd [ofdma], ic as the password

Login failed.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: [Bug] - Password Limitations?

mdavis.virtual wrote:

issue when using passwords with spaces, commas, and brackets []

Oh, i didn't test password with these characters before, it may not work properly.