Topic: Two separate options for aliases?
==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.3
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
I would like to get a clarification on mail aliases in the iRedAdminPro admin panel.
it seems that there are two separate options to create mail aliases:
1. Select a domain and display a user. Then click on the Aliases tab.
It says here:
Emails sent to alias accounts will be delivered to user xxxxxx
So essentially, this constitutes forwarding to an existing mail address.
2. Display a domain profile, and click on the blue "Mail Aliases" link at the top.
Here you can add a new alias, and then you can add "members", which are
the destination e-mail address for any mail sent to the alias.
In such case, the alias e-mail does not exist as a mailbox in the same way
as a "user".
While I do understand the concept behind this, it does not always work the way I expect
it if if I use option 1.
I have added a few alias mails (which aren't addresses
of existing users) to the mail box of an existing user per option 1 above.
If I then send a mail to any of these "aliases", my SMTP server (another server) fails to send it
and reports back "user unknown".
The awkward thing is that for some forwards added this way it works, for some it does not.
Is there any additional condition, which I may have set unknowingly?
----Urgent issue? Pay iRedMail developer to solve it remotely at $29.