Topic: Yet another User Not Logged In Thread

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.4
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Consider a scenario

user@example.com resides on my iredmail server, sending receiving, everything working perfect.

Now, there are some services on the internet especially freshbooks or even wordpress blogs which send emails on behalf of user@example.com. Those emails never reach to user@example.com giving an error, user not logged in.

Zang suggests in all other support threads to have smtp auth enabled at senders end. This is something I can't make companies as big as freshbook do.

What is the best solution to cop with this ?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Yet another User Not Logged In Thread

Hi Sami,

Could you please paste original error message here to help troubleshoot? The more details the better.

<xxxx@adomainhostedatmymailserver.com>: host mail.myserver.com[1xx.1xx.xx.17] said: 553 5.7.1
    <xxxx@anotherdomainhostedatmymailserver.com>: Sender address rejected: not logged in (in reply to
    RCPT TO command)

"not logged in", did you send out email with SMTP authentication in your mail client (Outlook/Thunderbird/etc)?

Hi Zang, can you please re read the original post. You'll understand the situation better.

Thanks for the help

When postfix receives an email, it will check whether sender/recipient domain is hosted locally. For example, mail with header "From: John Smith <johns@example.com>", if domain "example.com" is hosted locally, Postfix requires client to perform SMTP authentication before sending out email. So it complains "Sender address rejected: not logged in (in reply to RCPT TO command)".

I think I know what you are talking about... you want to have a third party server (not yours) to be able to send mail claiming to be from "user@example.com" to that account on your server.  Yes?

I had the same issue with a PHP form mailer hosted on my web server needing to send "from" an address on our iRedMail server, and Windows PHP can't use user authentication.

The only solution, I believe, is to add the sending IP to "mynetworks" in Postfix.  Problem is, if it's a mass mailer I'm not sure that you can count on that IP to not change.

Just curious, why Windows PHP cannot perform SMTP user authentication?
(I'm not a PHP guy, sorry if this is a stupid question.)

It's a quirk in the PHP for Windows default install.  There is no provision in the php.ini for SMTP authentication information in the php mail() function.  There are ways around it (such as using PEAR), but the standard install doesn't allow for it.