Topic: IRedMail/FAQ/why.iredmail.append.timestamp.in.maildir.path

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Checking http://iredmail.org/wiki/index.php?titl … ildir.path I saw that the timestamp is just for avoid duplicates. Will the performance be better if use with timestamp and the first and second letters from the username (like hashed format)?

Regards,

Ari

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: IRedMail/FAQ/why.iredmail.append.timestamp.in.maildir.path

- Will be slightly improved with first/second/third letters in maildir path (e.g. /u/s/e/username) IF you have many mail accounts.
- Won't be improved with timestamp in maildir path. As you said, just used to avoid duplicates.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

- Will be slightly improved with first/second/third letters in maildir path (e.g. /u/s/e/username) IF you have many mail accounts.
- Won't be improved with timestamp in maildir path. As you said, just used to avoid duplicates.

How many accounts?

I cannot tell you exactly how many, sorry.
You should know how it works, then you will know the more accounts, the better. Because kernel can find mailbox quicker.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

I cannot tell you exactly how many, sorry.
You should know how it works, then you will know the more accounts, the better. Because kernel can find mailbox quicker.

No problem! This remember old qmail + vpopmail....

Regards,

Ari