Topic: Increasing maximum number of IMAP connections?

We just put iredmail into use this morning and I was thrilled with the ease of installation.

Running into a problem though - we have three people accessing the same IMAP account with the Apple Mail client and they are randomly losing their connections.

I checked the dovecot log and found...

dovecot: Nov 16 19:13:55 Info: imap-login: Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded (mail_max_userip_connections): user=

I went into /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf and found the section

# IMAP configuration
protocol imap {
    #mail_plugins = quota imap_quota zlib expire
    mail_plugins = quota imap_quota zlib

# number of connections per-user per-IP
    #mail_max_userip_connections = 10
}

I am still learning my way around linux, but it appears mail_max_userip_connections is commented out so I'm guessing this limit is coming from somewhere else.

How can I increase the connection limit?

Thanks in advance!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Increasing maximum number of IMAP connections?

printswellrick wrote:

we have three people accessing the same IMAP account

It's dangerous. Why not use an alias account, set these three people as member of alias?

Such as:
support@domain.ltd -> [people01, people02, people03]@domain.ltd

I am still interested in how to increase the connection limit if you would be willing to explain.

But I am also open to better ways of doing what we are doing. I don't believe aliases would work because all three users need access to the same incoming messages and need to be able to reference what the other two members are sending out as well.

There is too much mail coming in for one person to adequately answer all the messages and so IMAP is the best way we could think of to synchronize the messages across multiple users.

Again, I'd still like to know how to increase the limit - but what other options are we not thinking of?

How about solve it this way:

Assume you use support@:

• Add a normal mail user: support@

• Forward all mails of support@ to user0[1,2,3]@ and support@ itself. Like this: support@ -> user01@, user02@, user03@, support@. In this way, all mails delivered to support@ will be copied to user01@, user02@, user03@ and  save a copy in support@.

• Set sender bcc of user01@, user02@, user03 with bcc address: support@. With this setting, all mails sent by user01@, user02@, user03@ will be copied to support@.

5 (edited by posa68 2012-06-27 23:16:24)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
printswellrick wrote:

we have three people accessing the same IMAP account

It's dangerous. Why not use an alias account, set these three people as member of alias?

Such as:
support@domain.ltd -> [people01, people02, people03]@domain.ltd

Hi,

Sorry if I bother and reply to this old thread, but I have the same problem.

Why it will be dangerous to increase imap connections?
Can you explain just a little more?

Thanks

posa68 wrote:

Why it will be dangerous to increase imap connections?

It's pretty clear that we're talking about having three people accessing the same IMAP account is dangerous, not increasing imap connections.