Topic: Setting up mail server DNS & account setup

iRedMail 0.8.1 LDAP
CentOS 6.2 (Final)

Hi,
I've just installed iRedMail for the first time and i'm quite impressed however i'm quite new to this so i'll try to explain as best I can.

I have :-
1 x Web server
3 x DNS server
1 x Mail Server (iRedMail)

what i'm having issues with is :-

1. DNS setup. How do I setup my DNS. If I use example.com as my domain I currently have configured,
   ns1.mydomain.com , ns2.mydomain.com , ms3.mydomain.com

On my DNS server I have   mydomain.com pointing to my web server
From a previous mail server install I have a mx entry for my domain.com
I also have a came entry for mail pointing to my domain.com.

What I'm asking is how would I setup my new mail server through dns I already have the A entry for my mail server hostname but in terms of the came with my domain.com would that not point to my web server?

Im also wondering how I would set this up through my mail client etc. For mail server would it be determined be my dns such as my mail.mydomain.com entry?

as I say I'm new to iredMail and mail server configuration in general so I'm sorry if some of what i've said doesn't make any sense or if I've given a lot of irrelevant information.

Thanks in Advance

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Setting up mail server DNS & account setup

callumbaillie wrote:

iRedMail 0.8.1 LDAP
CentOS 6.2 (Final)

Hi,
I've just installed iRedMail for the first time and i'm quite impressed however i'm quite new to this so i'll try to explain as best I can.

I have :-
1 x Web server
3 x DNS server
1 x Mail Server (iRedMail)

what i'm having issues with is :-

1. DNS setup. How do I setup my DNS. If I use example.com as my domain I currently have configured,
   ns1.mydomain.com , ns2.mydomain.com , ms3.mydomain.com

On my DNS server I have   mydomain.com pointing to my web server
From a previous mail server install I have a mx entry for my domain.com
I also have a came entry for mail pointing to my domain.com.

What I'm asking is how would I setup my new mail server through dns I already have the A entry for my mail server hostname but in terms of the came with my domain.com would that not point to my web server?

Im also wondering how I would set this up through my mail client etc. For mail server would it be determined be my dns such as my mail.mydomain.com entry?

as I say I'm new to iredMail and mail server configuration in general so I'm sorry if some of what i've said doesn't make any sense or if I've given a lot of irrelevant information.

Thanks in Advance

You would need to be sure that the iRedMail server has the IP that is given in DNS for the machine that is listed as the MX record.  You could then point your mail client to connect to that same address to get the mail.