Topic: recovery from back up

==== Provide required information ====
- iRedMail version and backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.
==== ==== Provide required information ====
- iRedMail version and backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): 0.8.0 MySql - up from 0.7.1 MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04 from 10.10
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.

Hi there Zhang, could I have some help please,

I had a bit of a system disaster with the machine running our mailserver.  Happily we do (sort of) back up, so rather than restore like for like I took the opportunity to move from Ubuntu 10.10 to 12.04 LTS, and do that as a clean install.  I have restored the keys (enough to get ssh access anyway), the vmail database, and all the vmail1 directorys (just accepted default location), and most everything seems to be working, but I have two questions;

1) I am getting a lot of 'connection timed out' reports from thunderbird.  It's a big mail account (~100k messages in a few hundred folders) but I am the only user on the system.  Thunderbird is the same client I was accessing the emails from previously - it doesn't download emails for offline storage, is connecting, and is able to read emails on one of my email accounts - but it is timing out continually.  When other folk are in the office tomorrow I can see this being a disaster.

2) Roundcube is able to see that there are emails, but there are no subjects, and no senders, and Roundcube can't actually access the email.

is this a permissions issue (old user, and presumably 'owner' of the maildir would have been vmail - new user will be the same, but perhaps not identical?

Or do I just need to get postfix or dovecot to reindex all emails - in which case how do I do that please?

Anyway, everything has gone quite well seeing as it's a recovery from untested backups - I feel fairly confident in now looking at the dying hard drive to try and get the last few emails off it, and of course iRedMail just worked, but roundcube is bugging me, and thunderbird is driving me nuts.

Many thanks

John

====

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: recovery from back up

Hi there,

After some more research, please ignore point 2 - the restore did not go well, with the restore software truncating great chunks of emails down to 0 bytes, and then doing the same to the back up.  The only current back up.  But that isn't anything you can (or should) help with, and I can't really blame roundcube for reporting what was there, however much I would like it to be wrong.  Although losing 40GB of email does give one a sense of freedom....

Could I have a new link for iredadmin pro though please - I renewed in May - I think you email me at johns at acwealthmanagement dot co dot uk, so if you could validate against that please.

Many thanks

John

johnsjs wrote:

Could I have a new link for iredadmin pro though please

Re-sent, let me know if you didn't get it.

johnsjs wrote:

1) I am getting a lot of 'connection timed out' reports from thunderbird.  It's a big mail account (~100k messages in a few hundred folders) but I am the only user on the system.  Thunderbird is the same client I was accessing the emails from previously - it doesn't download emails for offline storage, is connecting, and is able to read emails on one of my email accounts - but it is timing out continually.  When other folk are in the office tomorrow I can see this being a disaster.

As mentioned in Release Notes of iRedMail-0.8.0:

Release Notes of iRedMail-0.8.0 wrote:

All clients are forced to use IMAPS and POPS (via STARTTLS) for better security by default. To enable POP3/IMAPS without STARTTLS, please set disable_plaintext_auth=no AND ssl=yes in dovecot.conf.

So if your Thunderbird accesses mailbox via IMAP (without STARTTLS), please update Thunderbird settings to use IMAPS (with STARTTLS) instead. Or, enable IMAP (without STARTTLS) in Dovecot. Again, IMAPS is recommended.

Thank you,

I think some of it was permissions on the restored folders, which I have sorted temporarily by being far too permissive.

There is one other dovecot related issue I am fighting with - in the dovecot.log I am getting

auth-worker: Error: mysql: Query failed, retrying: Unknown column 'mailbox.enablelda' in 'where clause'
May 25 16:20:25 auth-worker: Error: sql(user@domain.com): User query failed: Unknown column 'mailbox.enablelda' in 'where clause'

I can't access run/dovecot/auth-worker , which is the only copy of auth-worker I can find on the system, it tells me it is locked, even as su, and when dovecot is not running, so I can't fix the script error (or rather fiddle around in the vain hope of fixing a perceived problem smile

Can you help with that too please?

As regards TLS - I have always had TLS enabled, with a plain password - Thunderbird STARTTLS port 143

johnsjs wrote:

- iRedMail version and backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): 0.8.0 MySql - up from 0.7.1 MySQL

As mentioned in wiki tutorial, Migrate to new iRedMail server, you have to check all SQL structure changes between your old iRedMail versions and new version, then apply the SQL updates manually.

Well, aren't I silly?

All now (mostly) working - I have had to do a fairly thorough wash of the mailstore to get rid of the corrupt emails but it's all working now using Thunderbird or webmail as a client.

One problem I am still having - outlook 2003 can't connect.  I haven't fiddled with /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf, but presume I need to somewhere.

Based on the original outlook installations we had no security ticks in the 'advanced' tab in account settings in outlook and everything worked.

Outlook now reports that 'Your IMAP server wishes to alert you to the following: Plaintext authentication not allowed without SSL/TLS, but your client did it anyway.  If anyone was listening, the password was exposed.'

Adding the security tick and using port 143 (which should be STARTTLS I think?) gives an immediate warning 'Unable to connect to the server'

Allowing the port to change to 993 (which is what it wants to do when I tick the 'secure' box in the first place) delivers the same message, but takes a little time to do it.

Changing to 465 with the tick (which I think is SSL?) gives the same message after a short delay.

So I figure an answer is coming back from the server on port 143 but outlook 2003 & dovecot aren't agreeing the encryption, whereas on other ports there isn't an answer.

Can you tell me what alterations I need to add to dovecot.conf to get it working please?  On dovecot 1. it would be the IMAPS protocol I think, but dovecot 2. seems to have deprecated this, and I can't find much in the wiki which helps.

We are 100% IMAP.

Many thanks

John

johnsjs wrote:

Outlook now reports that 'Your IMAP server wishes to alert you to the following: Plaintext authentication not allowed without SSL/TLS

As mentioned in Release Notes of iRedMail-0.8.0, "All clients are forced to use IMAPS and POPS (via STARTTLS) for better security by default. To enable POP3/IMAPS without STARTTLS, please set disable_plaintext_auth=no AND ssl=yes in dovecot.conf."

johnsjs wrote:

Adding the security tick and using port 143 (which should be STARTTLS I think?) gives an immediate warning 'Unable to connect to the server'

Please make sure Dovecot service is running, and you have properly configured the mail client.

I am really sorry to be an idiot about this....

I really don't want to go insecure - some of the connections are remote, and whilst I suppose I can force use of a vpn it isn't ideal - it's how to make Outlook work securely that I am struggling with.  I have tried every configuration combination that I can think of for the client - thunderbird is working fine, but outlook (and apparently blackberry internet services) is failing to connect.

I appreciate email client related stuff isn't really your problem Zhang, so thank you for reading, and I wonder, has anyone else had this problem, and found a solution - or even just to know that anyone else is using outlook 2003 and having it work securely properly would be a start, as then at least I know it isn't just a Microsoft foible...

Dovecot is definitely running - I have tail -f running on /var/log/dovecot.log in another window permanently at the moment to try and get some insight, but it isn't helping much.

This is what the log says when Outlook has a 'tick' in 'This server requires an encrypted connection'

May 29 09:28:33 imap-login: Info: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip=[ip removed], lip=[mailserver ip on local net]
May 29 09:28:33 imap-login: Info: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip=[ip removed], lip=[mailserver ip on local net]

This is what the log says when it doesn't

May 29 09:38:03 imap-login: Info: Disconnected (tried to use disabled plaintext auth): rip=[ip removed], lip=[mailserver ip on local net]

but that isn't a surprise.

I don't have Outlook for testing, sorry about this. Try google first.
Otherwise you have to try to enable plain text password, if it's acceptable for you.

Thank you. that's pretty much what i concluded. i Googled quite had before bothering you in the first place, and it appears not to be a. common complaint.

cheers, John