Topic: tips for migration

Hi,
I'm running iRedMail 0.7.3 on a CentOS 6.2 x64.
All seems to work fine, and now I'm planning to migrate the mailbox from the old server (gentoo with postfix and courier).
The old server use maildir, but the format of the path is somthing like this:
/home/mail/domain.tld/user/ (cur - new - etc.)
In iRedMail the format is hashed and is like this:
/var/vmail/vmail1/domain.tld/w/w/w/www-2012.01.04.16.40.44/Maildir/ (cur - new - etc.)
so my question is: what is the easiest way to migrate the old mailboxes?
Hashed format seemes to be much performant, but the migration require long time.
Can I use normal format for the old mailboxes, and hashed format for the new mailboxes?
If yes, how can I do this?
I would like to test iRedMail for about 1 month with some mailboxes and after the test period I'll purchase iRedAdmin Pro for the production use smile

Best regards,
Alessio

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: tips for migration

Hi Alessio,

Would you mind waiting for some more days for this migration? I will release iRedMail-0.7.4 stable release next Monday (Jan 9).

There's an issue in iRedMail-0.7.4-rc3 and earlier versions, it will cause Dovecot deletes mail accounts in MySQL database if you migrated mailboxes from old/other server, it was fixed in 0.7.4 weeks ago.

You can either install a fresh 0.7.4 server or upgrade from current 0.7.3.

About maildir path, Dovecot will query from SQL/LDAP server, so it depends on what you stored in SQL/LDAP, either original format or hashed one.

Hi Zhang,
thank you for your reply, no problem for waiting someday, I've installed iRedMail 2 times, one with debian and last with centos, wich is my choice for the prduction server, every one with a fresh install, so I think that I prefer to install the latest version in a fresh install of centos 6.2.
In these days I will make some other test on the current version of iRedMail, and I would like to try to migrate some mailboxes so I can work easly with the latest version.
Where is the setting for the hash or non-hash dir path?
I've see that the mail folder it's created after a login in the webmail, can I migrate the mailbox without first do a login to the webmail?
I think I can make folder manually, but in mysql? I must use the script in tools folder?

Many thanks and congratulations for the great work you have made!

agattei wrote:

Where is the setting for the hash or non-hash dir path?

It depends on which program you use to create new mail accounts. For example, iRedAdmin will generate hashed maildir path by default, but you can change this setting.

agattei wrote:

I've see that the mail folder it's created after a login in the webmail, can I migrate the mailbox without first do a login to the webmail?

I assume you store mail accounts in MySQL.

Mail accounts will be stored in MySQL database "vmail", table "mailbox".
Maildir path related settings will be stored in three columns: mailbox.storagebasedirectory, mailbox.storagenode, mailbox.maildir. The final/actual maildir path will be returned by MySQL command:

CONCAT(mailbox.storagebasedirectory, '/', mailbox.storagenode, '/', mailbox.maildir)

So you need to set/update these columns to fit your need.

agattei wrote:

I think I can make folder manually, but in mysql? I must use the script in tools folder?

Sorry, what does "mail folder" mean here?
If you mean maildir path, then it depends on above three SQL columns, it will be created when user first login.