1 (edited by craftmail 2011-08-16 22:08:16)

Topic: IREDMAIL + WEBMIN (Postfix,Dovecot, MySql - already installed)

Hello,

I just installed iRedMail on a Debian 6 virtual KVM virtual machine but that shouldn't be a problem.
I had Webmin installed with Postfix, Dovecot, MySql and Apache already and iRedMail doesn't work. I configured everything when installing but I'm going crazy about it now, I tried looking into files manually and I don't know what to change anymore.
What can I do about it, to make it work, or to uninstall iRedMail in such way that it won't brake the webmin modules, like it did, when I tried once, so I had to use the backup image.

So, the question is, how can I make iRedMail to work with Webmin and already installed mail server and database server ?
Thanks you !

==== Provide basic information to help troubleshoot ====
- iRedMail version: 0.7.3-rc2
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 6.0 (64bit)
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.
====

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: IREDMAIL + WEBMIN (Postfix,Dovecot, MySql - already installed)

1) What drives you crazy? Which component? Any error log message?
2) A's mentioned in installation guide:

***************************** WARNING ********************************
* iRedMail is designed to deploy on a FRESH server system, which     *
* means it does NOT have mail related components installed, e.g.     *
* Apache, MySQL, OpenLDAP, Postfix, Dovecot, Amavisd, etc. Otherwise *
* it may override your existing files/configurations althought it    *
* will backup files before modify, and it may be not working as      *
* expected.                                                          *

3 (edited by craftmail 2011-08-16 23:25:20)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

1) What drives you crazy? Which component? Any error log message?
2) A's mentioned in installation guide:

* iRedMail is designed to deploy on a FRESH server system, which     *
* means it does NOT have mail related components installed, e.g.     *
* Apache, MySQL, OpenLDAP, Postfix, Dovecot, Amavisd, etc. Otherwise *
* it may override your existing files/configurations althought it    *
* will backup files before modify, and it may be not working as      *
* expected.                                                          *

Yes, I know that, but I thought I can get it to work properly but well..I couldn't, or anyway not very fast,
Can you tell me which files it modifiex or if itmodifies more than config files of postfix, dovecot and apache ?
I can't receive email anymore,
Basically I uninstalled everything it cames with - spam assasin, clamav, phpmyadmin, awstats. how I can fix the postfix instalation now, to make it receive emails again.
I'll try iRedadmin on a fresh install, but for not I don't have access at the server anymore so I  must get out of this ! Yes I was quite wise.
Can you tell me? Well yes you can, I know that you know everything smile, but will you ?
Thanks !

Please post error log of Postfix and/or other components, so that others can help troubleshoot.

5 (edited by craftmail 2011-08-18 18:46:52)

Hello !

The log was empty. Nothing there since a few days earlier, since I tried to get rid of iRedMail.

I had to purge some of what iRedMail installed and reinstall them again, using webmin modules or not, like :
aptitude purge postfix, aptitude purge dovecot, aptitude purge clamav awstats phpmyadmin etc.

Purged everything but apache2, php5 and mysql. Mysql was not affected by iRedMail install, while apache and php had backups on php.ini and apache2.conf, so I rolled them back. I couldn't purge those, cause I needed the server up.
Also Postfix was receiving emails, but it didn't wrote them into e mail folder, even after install, so I had to manually add:

" home_mailbox = Maildir/ "
to main.cf, in /etc/postfix folder.

Also, after reinstall I had to do add the maps to translate my local to my domain again:

smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic ,

which they were erased when purged, obviously. If you still can't get no email, check your dns MX records and use something like pingability.com to check your server. Also, you can check if iptables is blocking your port 25, you can shut it off by:

/etc/init.d/iptables stop

Then configure it properly so you can be reached on port 25, if that was the problem. For more, you can search the web.
Now I can send and receive emails, so I wrote this for anyone who might have the same issues in removing a bad iRedMail install, over webmin.

Good luck !