1 (edited by nicolasfo 2011-04-20 20:48:39)

Topic: [SOLVED] Folders in mail folder

Hello,

I created a mail account called "nicolas".

I set my mail folder on my ubuntu server at "/home/mail" in the iredmail install wizard.

Why :
- When i go to see my mail folders, emails are really stored in "/home/mail/vmail1" ?
- My account named "nicolas" is folder-structured like this : /home/mail/vmail1/n/i/c/nicolas-2011-04-19-15.23.34" ?

Thanks in advance smile

2

Re: [SOLVED] Folders in mail folder

nicolasfo wrote:

- When i go to see my mail folders, emails are really stored in "/home/mail/vmail1" ?

Yes. So that you can easily mount other hard disks as addition storage under /home/mail.

nicolasfo wrote:

- My account named "nicolas" is folder-structured like this : /home/mail/vmail1/n/i/c/nicolas-2011-04-19-15.23.34" ?

We considered all mailboxes will be stored in same folder, e.g. /home/mail (/var/vmail/ is default), and maildir will be something like this: /var/vmail/vmail1/domain.ltd/n/i/c/nicolas-2011-04-19-15.23.34/.
If you have many files/folders under same folder, using maildir like this will gain better performance.

3

Re: [SOLVED] Folders in mail folder

Okay, and last question, why is there the creation date in the name of the account's folder ?

Thanks

4

Re: [SOLVED] Folders in mail folder

nicolasfo wrote:

why is there the creation date in the name of the account's folder ?

Deleting an user with iRedAdmin-Pro won't remove user's mailbox from file system, if you create a new user with same username, it will get same mailbox (same maildir), that means new user can see all old mails.

5

Re: [SOLVED] Folders in mail folder

Ok, that's clear thanks

6

Re: [SOLVED] Folders in mail folder

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
nicolasfo wrote:

why is there the creation date in the name of the account's folder ?

Deleting an user with iRedAdmin-Pro won't remove user's mailbox from file system, if you create a new user with same username, it will get same mailbox (same maildir), that means new user can see all old mails.

Can we override this features?
1.  We would like the user maildir folder to be automatically deleted when his account is removed.  If it is not posible, first we need to log into iredmail-pro panel to remove the account and secondly, we need to login into the terminal to delete the data.  Is this correct?

2. The folder structure you mentioned above, '/home/mail/vmail1/n/i/c/nicolas-2011-04-19-15.23.34' is customizable?  We are migrating from vpopmail, with hundreds of accounts with the pattern /home/mail/vmail1/domain.tld/username and we would like to maintain the same in the future accounts.  At best, we have 25 accounts per domain.

Thanks for all your efforts.  Iredmail is really amazing!

7

Re: [SOLVED] Folders in mail folder

Juanito wrote:

1.  We would like the user maildir folder to be automatically deleted when his account is removed.  If it is not posible, first we need to log into iredmail-pro panel to remove the account and secondly, we need to login into the terminal to delete the data.  Is this correct?

Correct.
Still no plan to let iRedAdmin-Pro access file system directly, so this feature is not yet available.

2. The folder structure you mentioned above, '/home/mail/vmail1/n/i/c/nicolas-2011-04-19-15.23.34' is customizable?

Of course is customizable. Check function setMailMessageStore() in file libs/iredutils.py.
Don't forget to customize it after you upgraded to new versions.

8

Re: [SOLVED] Folders in mail folder

Mr. ZhangHuangbin, Thanks.